Flairrah

Disclaimer: Don't believe everything you read here, for it is a woman's prerogative to change her mind.

Sunday, October 24, 2004

If you only had three words.

This shabbos I got in to an interesting conversation with my dear twin sister. She told me that people don't see me as fun, not in a bad way but if she were to describe me fun would not be one of the words she would choose. Now I am not going to go on an ego trip and share with you the words she picked out but I will say that although they were sweet, they made me sound really boring. I don't know if I would date me if I heard such a description. So I went and asked my mother and she gave me another three adjectives which I think summed me up a little better but still no fun, no friendly, not even outgoing. I guess this isn't a bad thing but to me it is a little disappointing cause well some times I say I am friendly or fun and I never use the adjectives they used to describe myself. It defiantly was lesson though, that we often think of ourselves differently then others think of us.
During the same conversation with my twin we got in to the pretty debate. Here is my take on the "Is she pretty?" question. I think it only sets you up for disaster. Why? Because no one can tell you if he/she is pretty cause they don't know what you find attractive. I am always scared that some shaddchan is going to say, yeah she is pretty and then the guy is going to have all these preconceived notions of what I am supposed to look like and be very disappointed when I don't measure up. Is there a possibility of this happening? Yes, because every one has different views of what pretty means, which is great. When you walk in with no expectations (which is why I never ask if he is good looking or not) then you are never disappointed (cause you always expect the worst, try it out it is true), ok so sometimes you are a little disappointed but it is nothing like being told he is hot and him being, well, not so good looking. I hate the question and I am sure most guys (and a bunch of girls) ask it. My question is why?


2 Comments:

  • At 9:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Since beauty is in the eye of the beholder, of course it would make sense that one may seem pretty to the shadchan and not to the date (and the other way around). People are insecure, besides for being afraid of the unknown. They ask to get a better feeling of the person. They know his whole history since he was born but have no idea what he looks like? Seems logical to ask what he looks like. It's when they start with the "picture?" that it gets a bit iffy.

    -leati

     
  • At 3:49 PM, Blogger flairrah said…

    Ok, I get what you are saying but I still don't have to like the question right?

     

Post a Comment

<< Home